Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday tunes: Late love.

Girls.
Sometimes tunes need time to simmer and boil a bit, before they're reached the exact temperature that makes them break through the wall. Today, three of my four Tuesday tunes are such slow-burners, that I've finally cast my love on this past week.


Girls are sometimes very lovely. So are Girls from San Francisco, especially on 'Lust For Life' from their highly acclaimed (9.1 on the 'fork) 2009 debut, Album. It's just a nice, less-is-more piece of guitar-driven indie.


It took me a while, but I've finally warmed to Toro Y Moi's fantastic 'New Beat', which made me listen to his new album, Underneath The Pine, which in turn disappointed me slightly. Alas, but the aforementioned tune is really one of the most universally joyful tunes I've heard in a long time!


OK, this is real old shit, but this past week I've been raving to 'The Lovecats' by none other than The Cure. Supposedly this was originally somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek mocking of everyone thinking Robert Smith & co. were a bit too emo (all right, the word emo didn't exactly exist back then. Serious, then?). Anyway, it's a wonderful tune - it almost makes you wish you were in love!


The newcomer here, and perhaps actually the most relevant artist to really hype, is Ólöf Arnalds. Since she appeared among the very unexciting smaller names on this year's Roskilde poster last Tuesday, I've spent a bit of time checking her out. Her recent album is called Innundir Skinni, and is tender, aloof and a bit good old-fashioned weird, but the title track, 'Innundir Skinni', is really likable, and, given the meagre level at this year's festival, I just might end up giving her a go...