Monday, January 03, 2011

Into '11 with Fuck Buttons.

Fuck Buttons.
Oi folks, and welcome back! In case you haven't noticed, we're now in a new year full of new awesome music! I can't really sum up what I look forward to in the coming year, 'cause a lot of my fave bands aren't really doing anything. I'm anticipating it to be a year of unknowns, and a year with lots of room for new discoveries, which is always sweet! A few big domestic acts like VETO and Spleen United are coming with new stuff, but internationally, everyone seem to be raving about new albums from The Streets and The Strokes. I'm kinda indifferent regarding both, as the albums I dig from both artists are near or past their 10th birthday, but hey. The big unknown is whether Radiohead will do something. I hope so.


Anyway, in spite of December running over in end of year lists, I did manage to buy a few new albums I wanted to tell you about. None of them have been really making waves though. I got Fuck Buttons' sophomore album, Tarot Sport, which, along with their debut, the brilliantly titled Street Horrrsing, placed very highly on Pitchfork's end-of-year list the year it came (2009). It's definitely not music for children, and it's quite unpleasant to listen to the entire album, but I love these very experimental, skew-whiff artists (Battles, anyone) once in a while, and some of it is amazing. Check out 'Surf Solar', it's such a trip (but do so in your earphones, otherwise it can be plain painful)! It's also by far the most accessible of the tracks, but the world would be a poorer place without albums and artists like this.


I also got The National's old album Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers, which is from before their big breakthrough with Alligator. I don't know, but I guessed I expected it to be down my alley, considering how much I dig the Cherry Tree EP, which is between the two aforementioned albums, but it's nothing special really. Haven't listened much to it though, but I guess there was ultimately a reason why they broke through with Alligator rather than with its predecessor.


Ordered a new batch of records today too, I'll tell you about them when they're here!