Sunday, October 24, 2010

Winter's on its way, 'Blindsided' tells me.

Halcyon Digest is still nowhere to be seen, and I am beginning to suspect Play.com, or the everyday devil we all know, the mailman, of fucking something up.


In the mean time, things have been really bloody quiet. I am in a tremendous musical void, to be honest, but out of voids, interesting tendencies tend to appear anyway. It's still mostly about The National's Cherry Tree EP, but being an EP, it doesn't exactly contain sufficient depth and inexhaustibility to bear endless hype. I'm also sorta coming around to The Suburbs, Arcade Fire's pretty damn well acclaimed third album, on which I was initially slightly lukewarm. Some of the gems have shined from day one, but many of the more anonymous and inaccessible tunes, initially seeming to be excess and overtime work for a band too flutteringly ambitious to fit a concept album into 40 minutes, are now emerging as strong songs in their own way. Today, I also finally downloaded a few of Beach House's tunes off Soundcloud (sorry). I'm really pissed their record is so impossible to get at, because a tune like 'Face It' is really enjoyable!


Finally, as the title states, I have had yet another revival of what seems to be the most immortal album on the face of indie Earth; For Emma, Forever Ago. I listened to it loudly and in utter darkness last Thursday night, when I had little else to do, and once again it slowly came creeping upon me, the greatness and total embrace of it all. Especially 'Blindsided', which also to me carries strong associations of last winter, when I came home from abroad, and everything was bloody cold as ice, and everyone were happy and rejoicing and some were dying and some were kissing, and all was bitterly cold and white.


I like fall, which is upon us now. Apart from the bitter cold, which is of course crap, I like when days are getting slightly shorter, when it's dark when you come home from work, and when colors are all grey and brown and even browner and orange. It's a time for melancholy, quiet musing and reflection and a slower pace.