Sunday, May 02, 2010

The revival of post-punk revival?

The post-punk revival wave of the early-to-mid-'00s has had some tough years of late, as all kinds of new rave, dance-punk, indie-folk and the plethora of other crossover genre-ingenuities have all had their poke at post-punk revival's somewhat traditional instrumentalisation, sound and structure. Interpol are on their way with their fourth album, which I think will be very important for them. All of their three first albums, although especially the two first ones, were praised almost across the boards, but can Paul Banks and his gang's inevitable talent pierce through the walls and into the '10s amidst glistening electro and schmindies with beards, sweaters and acoustic guitars? I hope so. The first taste of the forthcoming album, the title of which is still unknown, is 'Lights', which I must admit doesn't blow me away. It will be very interesting to hear news from this intriguing New York foursome soon though!

One guy who is definitely able to hit the nail on the head, is Anders Trentemøller. He's on his way with his second album, Into The Great White Yonder, which, as the title suggests, is gonna be quite reminiscent of his very widely acclaimed debut, The Last Resort. To hell with that (even though it is a very beautiful album), for Trentemøller really shines in his remixes and his live shows. We all know the magnificent remix of Röyksopp's 'What Else Is There?', and he's done it again. I mentioned this before, but I don't think I praised it rightfully - it's really sharp and witty this one, which is of course his remix of 'Beach'. It's a bit long (there's a shorter version on Soundvenue's High 5), but I love how Jonas Bjerre's angelic falsetto is accompanied by the heavy beats and tribal-like percussion.

Kele Okereke of Bloc Party fame is on his way with his first solo record. I honestly haven't been expecting much, knowing that Okereke's live DJ-gigs are often heavily infused with punk, a genre I honestly don't really embrace. There is something to his voice nonetheless, and I'll probably get a hold of the album, just for loyalty's sake. The first single was played on Zane Lowe this week, and it's named after a kind of pasta, the 'Tenderoni' (just kidding). I don't really like it that much, honestly, but this might very well be one of the poppier, blander tracks on the album, so don't rule it out yet.


Finally, an outfit that has been played steadily here, there and everywhere this year has been brooklyners The Drums. I haven't completely thrust my love upon them, as I do find some of their stuff I've heard to become quite tiring. 'Forever and Ever, Amen', however, won me over. I guess I've got a thing for wistful and dreamy tunes about dreams things (non-)everlasting at the moment.