Sunday, May 23, 2010

On being 40 years old... And being James Murphy.

Growing old and presumably irrelevant to youth culture is a pretty common theme for musicians who've reached a certain age or phase. "Youth is wasted on the young", is one of the typical monikers of this slightly gerontocratic perception of life and generations. I feel inclined to quote Bjarke Niemann of Spleen United, who sharply criticizes this complacency in 'Failure 1977': "The failure ain't the going, it's the staying down."

James Murphy has told us all, that This Is Happening will be the last album from his crown jewel project, LCD Soundsystem. In this era of resurgent rock'n'roll mastodons, it's hard to take an announcement like that seriously, but something leads me to believe, that Murphy is actually dead serious. It's not like the man is going to hibernate in his hammock for the rest of his life. A devout musician like him will almost certainly be involved somewhere and in some way. But lets just pretend this is the last we're ever gonna hear of Murphy's distinctive voice and lyrical universe, all set to tight, tumbling beats. This way, This Is Happening is a pretty damn good way to shut oneself up. A far cry from 'Daft Punk Is Playing At My House', Murphy still rules New York dance-punk, albeit in a subtler and more introspective way than previously. That was a helluva long yarn just to point out that I've finally heard This Is Happening, and although reviews haven't led me to expect anything else, as this is one of the most highly praised albums so far of 2010, it is really good. It's doubtful that I'm ever really gonna love 'Drunk Girls', but for the few lows on this album, the highs are really consistent - songs such as 'Dance Yrself Clean', 'All I Want' and the awesome 'One Touch'.

I've consolidated my relationship with a few other mentionable records this past week. In the alley of producers-gone-frontmen, Broken Bells' eponymous debut album has been a pleasant surprise. I've only heard it a few times, thus I am unable to seriously draw any tracks out from this at times beatle'esquely soothing album, other than opener 'The High Road'.

In the department of massively critically acclaimed records, I've also finally gotten around to Boxer by The National, which is admittedly every bit as good as I had expected. Definitely a band that's moving upwards on my Roskilde priorities list these days, although a lot will still depend on how High Violet turns out. Also consolidating their position high on this list is Vampire Weekend. I've finally had a few runs through Contra, which is pretty good, although it doesn't appear as catchy as the debut. I love 'Run' though - it sounds just like a song with that title should!

Finally, a bit on the domestic scene, I went to high school with these guys, who were always a step in front of everyone else career-wise - and rightfully so, as they do have a talent for catchy compositions. They've been through quite an array of names and styles, but now seem to be settled in as Treefight For Sunlight, and a style somewhat resembling a cross between MGMT, Grizzly Bear and Oh No Ono. Their first proper single is out now, and is called 'Facing The Sun'. I really like it, and although its simplicity might not garner it a long life, it's a great summer hit, which I definitely think has potential to be one of the summer surprises on the Danish music scene.