Thursday, April 29, 2010

Garage revival times!

Every now and every then, I have a week or a few where I scrap all the synths and fancy-schmanzy studio productions in favor of some old fashioned guitars. This time around, this period has been foremostly spurred by my getting a hold of The Kooks' very well-acclaimed album Inside In/Inside Out, from 2006. Of course, everyone knows 'Naïve' and 'Seaside', both of which are awesome tracks, but also 'She Moves In Her Own Way', 'See The World' and 'Match Box' are very enjoyable parts of a good album.

Another thing that has happened the last few weeks is that I've finally embraced Is This It by The Strokes. Ever after NME named it the top most influential album of the 00's, I've somehow pushed forward the fact, that I would eventually have to make up my mind on this album. It is perhaps less hit-laden than it's younger brother, Room On Fire, which features both '12.51' and the catchiest riff in the world, 'Reptilia', but it is really a thorough package. Songs like 'Someday', 'Barely Legal', 'Take It or Leave It' and the title track all stand out, but the album's strength is really the simplicity and genuineness that runs through its entirety.

I have had an Arctic Monkeys flip for months, but lately it has turned, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, towards the second album, Favourite Worst Nightmare. I am amazed at how 'Only Ones Who Know' and 'Do Me A Favour' work together around the panicky nexus of the album. The latter is a highly powerful tune, especially when you bring the spot-on lyrics into the mix. I might cook up some sort of comparative discourse of the three Arctic Monkeys albums soon enough.

Tokyo Police Club and Cut Off Your Hands are peripherical parts of this garage-revival period, both chipping in with instrumental tracks such as 'Your English Is Good' and 'Turn Cold'.

I'm finally getting a decent salary next month, and I'll definitely spend some of it on some new records. More on that soon.