Friday, April 16, 2010

Preliminary thoughts on the Roskilde line-up.

... And Thursday came and went, with Roskilde Festival now 60 names richer on the line-up, and even though, as I wrote the other day, other names will doubtlessly still be added to the poster right through June, we've now got a pretty good picture on what to expect.

I must say, I've never had as crowded an upper echelon on my must-see list. Given that many metal-heads and hip hoppers especially might righteously feel that this year's line-up doesn't fulfill their wettest dreams, I sure am pretty satisfied. It's still early, and a lot is gonna happen through the next few months, as I get to dig further through the acts, but these are my preliminary thoughts on what the 8 days at the Animal Showgrounds are gonna have in store for me.

Headliners
The big three in question this year in my book are the UK threesome of Muse, The Prodigy and Gorillaz, and I'm probably gonna prioritize them in that particular order. Yes, I saw Muse in 2007, and thus part of me argues to go see something else this time around, but it is also a fact that Muse's '07 show still ranks just below Trentemøller '09 on my top Roskilde-concerts' list. I'll never forget that afternoon, but I hope this years show will provide a different experience, namely a slot in the dark (the 1am slot would be awesome). Regardless, there's a good chance the Teignmouth trio will be atop my list come June. The Prodigy is gonna be an awesome party. I envision it as this years ball-buster of a lights-and-music show, in lieu of Björk ('07), The Chemical Brothers ('08) and Trentemøller ('09). Gorillaz is all gonna depend on how they choose to come forth live. If they do it all in 3D, it's gonna be quite unique. Else, I might not be desperate to see them, although they'll probably kick ass. Jack Johnson deserves a mention, although given the strength of this year's line-up, he's gonna be a fair ways down the list. A sunny Saturday afternoon with Mr. Johnson at Orange does sound appealing though.

Indie abundance
Last year, Roskilde somewhat slumped the indie audience, with the absence of acts such as Phoenix, La Roux, Bon Iver and Animal Collective. This year, the festival full-fledgedly takes revenge. Trying to somehow sort the abundance of interesting names in some sort of priority, five names appear atop my list. Vampire Weekend is gonna be very, very hard for me to miss this year. I really need to get a hold of their newest record Contra, from January, but their eponymous debut is really enough for me to go see them. Kings of Convenience are gonna be extremely high on my list as well, although I've only ever heard their two first albums. I need to get a hold of at least the newest one. I am already looking forward to a hot afternoon with a beer at Odeon and Erlend Øye soothing my ears with his moony voice. The Temper Trap are gonna be massive too. We heard them a fair lot in Australia, and I really hope they get to play Arena, which would be an amazing stage for their music. They're probably gonna have to settle for Odeon though. LCD Soundsystem is another name I'm looking very much forward to. I just heard his new album for the first time the other day, and it's much better than the lead single, 'Drunk Girls', would lead one to expect. Combined with the sheer quality of his second album, Sound of Silver, this is gonna be an epic gig. Florence + The Machine rounds off the important five - another very interesting name.

A few other names sound very appealing, but are gonna be dependent on how the schedule is gonna come out. Beach House especially, but also FM Belfast, Casiokids, Dirty Projectors, Wild Beasts and The National.

Electronic emphasis?
Last year, my program ended up being pretty packed with electronic names (Fever Ray, Röyksopp, Trentemøller, 2ManyDJs, Pet Shop Boys), to the point that it really ended up being almost too much. I'm gonna pick my poison carefully this year, but there are a few names I'm very likely to attend. Highest on my list will probably be Moderat, who are likely to throw off an anything but moderate party. I also hope to find room especially for Pendulum and French elite-turntablists Beat Torrent. Other interesting names include Miike Snow, Schlachthofbronx, Fontän and Lindstrøm & Christabelle, but they're honestly gonna have a tough time in a year like this.

The yearly world-complex
Roskilde Festival always somehow manage to dig up a few decent names from around the globe, to cater for the curious music enthusiast. I always try to see at least part of a few concerts with a distinctively different feel, but it's hard to know what to expect. I do however expect Shantel & Bucovina Club Orkestar to throw an awesome party, which I'd like to attend. Some other interesting names that might be worth checking out are Mexican Institute of Sound, as well as the yearly act from The DR Congo, Staff Benda Bilili, who are not only Congolese, but also homeless and paraplegic. Oh, the poor souls. Finally, why not check out Narasirato Pan Pipers from a country as interesting as the Solomon Islands? Jeez, Roskilde haven't even come up with an abbreviation for that (they haven't for Mali either, but then again, there isn't much to abbreviate).

Denmark ye beautiful
I group the Danish acts together across genres mainly because they always present an irritating dilemma. As good as they might be, they're bound to be around the country at some point, and as such they aren't as exclusive to Roskilde. I do manage to fit a few of them into my schedule every year, and I'm rarely disappointed (Oh No Ono, Trentemøller and Tim Christensen '09, VETO '08 and Nephew '07, to mention a few). The three main Danish acts this year are Dizzy Mizz Lizzy, Kashmir and Nephew, and I'd like to fit in all three of them. Dizzy Mizz Lizzy are of the highest importance, as I've never seen them live, so it will hopefully be legendary. I saw Kashmir last night, but they are an awesome band, and I'd really like to experience them at Roskilde. Nephew are gonna be hard pressed to top their epic gig in 2007, but they're good in any case. Den Sorte Skole are beginning to look like a recurring fixture at the Animal Showgrounds, showing up for the third year running, counting their surprise bash at Skate in 2008. This year, they're gonna mash up tunes from the first 40 years of Roskilde, and it's gonna be one fat hell of a party. I hope to attend, and to be drunk while doing so. Two Danish bands I have heard way too little are When Saints Go Machine and The Kissaway Trail, but they are at the mercy of the schedule. Same goes for The Asteroids Galaxy Tour.

And for the first four days...
The Pavilion Junior line-up looks really interesting this year. I haven't really gotten around to checking out much of it yet, but Kill Screen Music, Sleep Party People and Eim Ick will be interesting. And I might go check out Thee Attacks, just because they're from Aalborg, and there are gonna be a lot of known faces among the audience.

An outline of a top 15
Order will certainly change, but:
Muse (UK)
Kings of Convenience (N)
Vampire Weekend (US)
The Prodigy (UK)
Dizzy Mizz Lizzy (DK)
The Temper Trap (AUS)
LCD Soundsystem (US)
Den Sorte Skole (DK)
Moderat (DE)
Gorillaz (UK)
Florence + The Machine (UK)
Kashmir (DK)
Nephew (DK)
Beat Torrent (FR)
Pendulum (AUS)