Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Things are happening.

Alright, except from the Roskilde-announce last week (which was topped by the addition of Prince today, whoa!?), these have been a few quiet weeks. I've however finally assembled a collection of stuff that's worth a listen.

Things are happening for James Murphy and LCD Soundsystem, with third and, supposedly, final album This Is Happening due in the immediate future. It was available for streaming at his website a few days ago, and I really liked what I heard. 'All I Want', which seems to be the next single off the album, is really likeable, and very recognizable.

Roskilde-bound The National are out with a new single too, 'Bloodbuzz Ohio', and I must admit I am really impressed. Here's a band that have always hovered slightly below my radar, but that may well change. I love the energetic approach to the otherwise sometimes rather dire post-punk-revival sound (think White Lies, Editors).

In the more electronic spectrum, quite a few interesting remixes have appeared the last few days. 'Beach', my favourite track off Mew's latest album, has been remixed by none other than Trentemøller. I can't find it on YouTube yet, but it's available off Soundvenue's High 5, whereupon it is a contender this week. It's really awesome! In the alley of star DJs, Tiësto has had a go at Turboweekend's 'Trouble Is'. It's just humongous! Hot Chip have released a re-fix of 'I Feel Better', now titled 'I Feel Bonnie', and featuring Bonnie 'Prince' Billy. Also in the electronic alley, albeit not a remix, Crystal Castles are on their way with their second album, which is eponymous - as the first one was. Retarded. Anyway, 'Celestica' here is quite a nice track!

Finally, I went and saw Kashmir last Thursday, and it was really good. They, as nearly always, had tremendous gusto, and the set was pretty good. I don't remember the tracks in order, but they played the following selection of songs:

From Trespassers: Mouthful of Wasps, Intruder, Mantaray, Pallas Athena, Still Boy and Bewildered in the City.
From No Balance Palace: Kalifornia, The Cynic, The Curse of Being A Girl, She's Made of Chalk and Ether.
From Zitilites: Rocket Brothers, Surfing The Warm Industry, The Aftermath, Melpomene, In The Sand and Big Fresh.
From Travelogue: Leathercrane (an epic closer!)

I missed Petite Machine and Lampshade, which they've played on some of the earlier dates of the tour, but all in all a good gig!