Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Trophy Wife, Toro Y Moi & James Blake.

Toro Y Moi.
Oi folks! Here are a few new awesome tunes to sweet up your Tuesday! Some interesting names that I'm not all convinced about yet, but they're moving!


I have been sort of 50/50 on Toro Y Moi. Some of it is decidedly to sugary for me, but I really dig the bass in 'New Beat'. It's got such a summery vibe to it!


Oxford outfit Trophy Wife sound like the second incarnation of Foals' Antidotes on 'The Quiet Earth', but let's just forget for a moment how Antidotes has slid into obscurity after the arrival of Total Life Forever, and embrace how this young band sound like something really interesting, and definitely worth following! They're supporting talk-of-the-town Esben and The Witch this spring, so look out for them!


I don't know about this James Blake fellow. His eponymous debut album is out Monday next week, but I must admit I'm a bit reluctant. I listened to a track-by-track teaser yesterday, and I wasn't all won over. There's an obvious The xx reference, but I think the very things that nudge The xx along, the intimacy and the vocal interplay, is sort of not Blake's ballgame. No, sure, he's got a beautiful voice and what not, but I don't know... Check out this live take of 'The Wilhelm Scream' and hear for yourself.


I bought a ticket for Iron & Wine this Saturday on the spur of the moment, so now I've got to listen to the album a few more times to justify the money spent. Hopefully it will be every bit as good as I expect!