Friday, February 04, 2011

Streets, Iron & Wine.

So, it's almost here, the presumably last album from The Streets. Mike Skinner is a man of pretty severe artistic credibility, but I have a tough time taking all these "now we're/I'm done"-statements. I mean, who wants to bet we're gonna see The White Stripes do a reunion tour in a few years or five?


Anyhow, I listened to Computers & Blues in its entirety this afternoon, and was mildly positive. I haven't really been expecting much, but with that said, from The Streets' two latest albums, I haven't heard anything but the obvious singles. My relationship with Birmingham's finest is fiercely dependent on A Grand Don't Come For Free, and to a lesser extent the debut, Original Pirate Material.


So, I kinda liked Computers & Blues. It's gonna take a few other appealing names for me to spend 700 kroner on a ticket to Northside Festival (being as the other big names so far announced are two of the bands I love to hate the most - Band of Horses and White Lies), especially as Skinner is rumored to Copenhagen later in the year too (why not Roskilde, you shmuck?). Initial highlights include 'Outside Inside', which samples from Skream's iconic Watch The Ride, and 'We Can Never Be Friends', which has a definite A Grand Don't Come For Free-taste to it, so touchy it fucking almost made me cry. I was also impressed by the rhyming on 'ABC' and 'Trust Me'. Generally speaking, Skinner has got the most impressive, unerring flow. It's such a joy to listen him spitting out words, making everyday life sound so awfully poetic. That being said, I detest his silly need to bring along random, (presumably) Afro-American soul/r'n'b-kinda singers. What are they doing there!?!?! I want to hear Mike Skinner rap, for fucks sake, I don't listen to it to hear his middle-of-the-road beats!


I'm moseying down to Ã…rhus tomorrow for the rest of the weekend (which includes the Superbowl being won by the mighty Cheesehead Pride), and tomorrow night I'm gonna see Iron & Wine at Voxhall. I gave his new record Kiss Each Other Clean, and found it pretty pleasant - pleasant enough I might buy it, depending on what else shows up through the next few weeks. If I were to point out a few highlights, it would be 'Rabbit Will Run' and the strong closer 'Your Fake Name Is Good Enough for Me'. Check it out! I think he's almost sold out, and Voxhall is an awesome venue for these smaller, intimater names.