Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quotes on my wall.

The Streets.
What up? I thought I'd tell you about a new project I did a few weeks ago. Kind of lacking some art on my big bare white wall, I bought three wee chalkboards - this way I can chance my decoration according to mood, cool huh!? I'm shit at drawing though, so I immediately opted for quotes. Here's what I've got right now:


1) Was originally:


There are doors that let you in and out, but never open.


Which is from Radiohead's love-it-or-loathe-it 'Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors' off Amnesiac. Originally, I'd have liked to have the entire lyrics, but there wasn't really room. 'Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors' is about life, the universe and everything, described with doors as a metaphor. I find the above line particularly descriptive, and it's sort of a lash against people being too calculated. You know, the people you've known for a long time, or very intimately, but you don't really know them. You wander in and out in their life, but they never really open themselves. Now though, the chalkboard reads:


Allow your mind to become a moving prism, catching light from as many angles as possible!


Courtesy of C.W. Mills via my mate Jacob. I find it kind of interesting, and perhaps I see it as sort of a lesson I still have to learn. The objective enlightening of a subject or topic from many different viewpoints, the empathic trying to understand situations and feelings from other people's perspective.


2) Reads:


Love is an astronaut: It comes back, but it's never the same.




Courtesy of James Murphy/LCD Soundsystem, from the song 'Drunk Girls'. A peculiar quote perhaps, but I like it - I think it describes the fact that you get something out of every romantic encounter you have, be it short or long, deep or superficial. You always learn something, and when love returns, you've got a different perspective of it, which might or might not be to your advantage.


3) Reads:


I came to this world with nothing, and I leave with nothing but love. Everything else is just borrowed.


This is one of my favorite quotes, and I guess it's ultimately an elegant swing at materialism. Why we spend all of our time and money going to Ikea and buying furniture and ingenious things for our kitchens, or indebt ourselves with cars and houses and stuff, when all of that is left behind when we die anyway. The only thing we might carry with us is what's in our hearts - our love, experiences, memories, passion and emotions, which is why that is what we should cherish while we're alive too. It is of course from The Streets' tune 'Everything Is Borrowed'.