Saturday, November 13, 2010

You say yea, I say sayer!

Yeasayer's Odd Blood album has really been growing on me as of late. It's quite a tricky, quirky record, that can seem lengthy at first listen, but I've now realized that it's an absolutely splendid collection of tunes. Aside from the obvious crown jewel, 'O.N.E.', I've really been raving to 'Mondegreen' this week, it's such an awesome and powerful tune!


I like to utilize every possibility I have to write horse on my blog, and it's only more fitting when it comes in the form of an interesting song. It's 'The Dwarf and The Horse', which is by Sleep Party People. The live take from the X-Sessions I've linked to, captures the rabbit-masked outfit's very intense live shows pretty sharply. The metallic drum pad percussion is sort of reminiscent to another masked group of much wider acclaim...


Finally, I'm often irritated by good intros or interludes that seem like sort of undeveloped tracks - as if they're the fetus from an aborted working process, to metaphorize. I often wonder how stunning tracks they could have become if they were expanded a bit. A good example is 'Intro' on The xx' xx. There's such etherealness to the guitar, and it could really become the most haunting, sweeping, murky tune. Now, it's not much longer, actually it's shorter, than the original, but curious Swedish outfit jj (what's with those lowercase double-letter-names anyway??), whom I've checked out way too superficially, have had a take on 'Intro', sampling it for 'I'm The One/Money On My Mind', which is kinda cool.