Friday, November 12, 2010

Leslie, you and I have been long overdue...

Oi, I've had quite a busy week, so I haven't had time to write a bit about my new albums yet. I got a few last week, and all are shaping up pretty nicely!

I'm especially pleased to finally have Leslie Feist's The Reminder in my collection. It is every bit as delightful as I remember from my first few listens (I especially remember a rainy day on the Great Ocean Road...), and it has been a welcome addition to my record collection as an album that works well on many occasions. It's pretty hard to distinguish the key tracks yet, but I enjoy 'The Park' and 'Sealion' very much. Also the pretty closer 'How My Heart Behaves' featuring Eirik of Kings of Convenience and the very Norah Jones'esque 'Brandy Alexander' deserves mentions.

I also got The Amplifetes' eponymous debut. I kinda bought that one on the spur of the moment, so I didn't really have huge expectations. It is however a decent album, highlighted of course by 'Someone New', which is a simply massive tune, unsurprisingly the highlight of the album. The oohntzy 'Blinded By The Moonlight' is good too.

Finally, and in a completely other ditch, I got Søren Huss' solo-debut Troen & Ingen. I guess sometimes good songwriters need to shed the weight of a band to truly shine. Huss is no Bon Iver, as one had perhaps hoped, but he fares very well in the maze that is making a sentimental album without ending up sounding like a wuss or an emo or both. The lyrical universe is very strong, and the musical is much more interesting than what he ever did with Saybia, seemingly mingling a lot of styles in the name of the lyrics and the concept being what carries the album, not its musical traits.