Thursday, November 18, 2010

Racy, funky new electro (and Finnish indie-schmindies).

I just browsed through the last few days of the Forkcast, while reading one of my buddies' travellog, and a lot of really interesting stuff actually showed up! I guess I'm in yet another electro phase, which will almost certainly not last too long, but right now, there's just a lot of tasty new stuff out there.

Most importantly, check out this track, 'American Mourning' by Bikini. It really amps up in a nice way at the end. I think it's a stretch to call them dance-pop as Pitchfork do - indie-house would probably be more appropriate.

Onra out of Paris, France is awesomely funky, in a laid-back, but not at all in an uneventful way. Try and check out 'The Perfect Match'. Oh, and never mind the bollocks lyrics, just keep it to the beatzzzz... 'All Around and Away We Go' by Twin Sister, is another track with a sweet, dirty groove.

My electro-wave might be sort of a counter-reaction to the wild and crazy lo-fi wave that's hitting indie right now. It's just sickening, and it's gone way, way, way, waaaay over the top! I mean, give White Fence a listen on 'Lillian (Won't You Play Drums?)'. Just too much.

I mentioned these Finnish Joe Shmoes in the header, which was mainly because they have quite another knish than all the club-tinged stuff. They're called French Films, and they've got a nice sorta The Drums'ey or late Raveonettes thing going on 'Golden Sea'. Very enjoyable!

Fuck, my tasteless flattie is amping up her Thursday with bone-dry, bland mainstream house - I think I'm gonna flee into my headphones with something nice and quiet!