Tuesday, May 03, 2011

When the cat's away...

Chad Valley.
... The mice play on the table. That's how a well-known Danish proverb sounds. Apparently, when I'm away from my favorite music sites and blogs for a few days, sweet new tunes emerge aplenty. I'm gonna try and sum up a bit of it.


First of all though, I'm gonna reserve my right to curse violently, as the Sufjan Stevens concert I missed got absolutely spotless reviews across the board. FUCK! SHIT! CRAP! All right, aggressions out now, and luckily, my mate Peter's gonna owe me eternally for being able to buy my ticket.


Anyway, to kick things off, 'Fast Challenges' is a nice sort of Balearic house cut by UK producer Chad Valley. If you dig stuff like Delorean, or Danish rising star Taragana Pyjarama, this should be down your alley.


Staying in the UK, 'Bave's Chords' is a sweet new tune by dubstep innovators Mount Kimbie. It's pretty minimalistic, almost to the point where it gets nonsensical, but it's oddly beautiful.


Niki and The Dove are Swedish, and they are debuting on iconic label Sub Pop this year, with a 12". 'The Fox' starts off sort of sluggishly, but the oh-so-Swedish oohs that engulf the chorus win me over instantly.


Moving east from Sweden is Finland, which is somewhat of a musical afterthought, perhaps because its language is supposedly one of the most difficult in the world to write in. Linguistic barriers or not, Helsinki indie-pop outfit Regina do pretty well with 'Jos Et Sä Soita' - jeez, that could almost have been a Eurovision presentation, huh?


Finally, back in the electronic department, here's Brooklyn artist Laurel Halo with 'Aquifer'. There's a nice pace forward to this, even if it might be somewhat forgettable.


Oh, and one last thought: If you've got a wee hour on your hand tonight (as I do), I'd recommend you to do one of the following:


1) Take a punch at this sweet mixtape from Toro Y Moi (yeah, that's for me trying to forget it actually bloody snowed around here today...)!


2) Take a chance on one of the year's more remarkable Roskilde omissions Gang Gang Dance, whose forthcoming sophomore album, Eye Contact is now available for full streaming!


TTYL this week with some stuff on the albums I got last week - can't wait to tell you lot about it!