Sunday, May 22, 2011

Soothed by Kristian, Justin, Marissa, Robert and Fast Peter.

The Tallest Man On Earth.
I'm in a bit of a nostalgic period right now. Not nostalgic as digging up old gems from the sixties, but I've been listening to a number of artists whom I've carried along for many years now. A lot of Coldplay, a lot of Interpol, a lot of Sigur Rós. I am often dumbfounded by how albums continuously emerge and retire. Such as Spleen United's Neanderthal, which I hadn't heard for months, but suddenly found myself enjoying in the bus going to work this Thursday.


Anyway, yet another wasted Sunday - I wonder if I will ever get anything out of this the week's finale other than reminiscing over the weekend come and gone. Yesterday I really had a blast. I was as drunk, irresponsible, gay and foolish as I haven't been for a long time, to be honest.


But for Sundays, let's lie down, stare at the ceiling and soothe our ears with euphony. That could be Kristian Matsson, aka The Tallest Man On Earth, who has become one of my weapons of choice as a hangover soundtrack. Just today I discovered that he has premiered a new tune during the week. It features a full band, and it veers slightly from his usual, and very characteristic, vocal timbre. Matsson is however a divine songwriter, and although this new tune is pretty far from the sound of his albums, it works. He really has a grasp on romance and yearning desire like few others. It's untitled and beautiful!


Justin Vernon and Bon Iver (I guess I'm gonna eventually start to refer to them as a band...) are teasing away for their upcoming sophomore album. The concert in Copenhagen November 5th sold out within the first day - luckily, I got tickets!! This week he dropped 'Perth' on us, which, to the avid fans, is recognizable as being the track we got a 50 second snippet of a month or so ago. This album release is so tantalizingly intriguing, I'm sorry if it's gonna take up a lot of space here this next month or so.


Another few sweet Sunday tracks for today, from artists I haven't been digging as heavily. I've so far avoided Marissa Nadler, but I must admit 'The Sun Always Reminds Me Of You' is pretty fucking astonishing! I guess I'm finally starting to warm to female vocals for real. Dayton, Ohio based indie veteran Robert Pollard has released a track from his forthcoming album, track is called 'In A Circle', and is pretty sweet!


Finally, Spencer Krug, aka Moonface, has released a cut from his new album, which is bound to be a pretty interesting ordeal, as it reportedly only includes 5 tracks, but never the less clocks in at nearly 40 minutes - the track dropped is called 'Fast Peter', and is a bit more up tempo than the other stuff I've shared today. Nevertheless, it's beautiful too - happy Sunday!