Sunday, March 13, 2011

A week of Texas folk and skillful indie-pop.

Kiss Each Other Clean.
This has been a quiet week on The Idioteque, which can be construed as being a good thing, as it means I'm busy doing other stuff (work = money). This weekend I've been pretty good at spending money though, but that's what happens when you have fun I guess. My mate Johan came home from China this week, so we've been spending a lot of the weekend together, catching up - it's been a good way for myself to catch up on what has been going on the past year. Nothing helps you reminisce like telling stories and sharing thoughts.



The big album of the week, actually of the past few weeks, for me has been Texas folkster Iron & Wine's Kiss Each Other Clean. Although a bit slow off the grid, the middle part of this album with tunes such as 'Tree By The River', 'Monkeys Uptown' and 'Rabbit Will Run' is really strong, as is of course the epic closing track 'Your Fake Name Is Good Enough For Me'. I'm not too big on religious lyrics, but on Kiss Each Other Clean it doesn't matter much - it's a really thorough and exciting album.



I and the lot went to see our old high school mateys Treefight For Sunlight at Studenterhuset yesterday, and expectedly the guys were once again very impressive. Although the first few songs were desecrated by a bit of sound troubles, the general impression was very good, and the sizable audience seemed very delighted. Personally, I especially found the heavier and more psychedelic tunes 'Time Stretcher' and 'They Never Did Know' to work very well live, with the drummer Mathias' raw and edgy basso being a welcome compliment to the falsettos that envelop and caress much of the bands music - nevertheless beautifully, especially on the impressive and magnificent cover of Kate Bush's 'Wuthering Heights'. A few of the more delicate tunes, such as 'You and the New World' and 'Facing The Sun', both of which are favorites of mine on the album, were perhaps not as rollicking as they are on the record, but all in all a good concert by a very skillful young band.


I ordered a batch of new records today, or rather, a new record and a pair of slightly older ones. I'll tell you about them when they land in my mailbox!