Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Guys, what IS this shit?

Arctic Monkeys.
Okay, I don't want to sound like a reverse Liam Gallagher or anything, but what the fuck is the new Arctic Monkeys single, 'Brick By Brick' all about? I've rarely heard a more pathetic piece of pseudo-garage gibberish - I really, really hope it's supposed to be a joke, or at least that the new album isn't gonna sound like this! I am one of the defenders of the turn the Monkeys took with Humbug, but this? It sounds like local garage caricatures Thee Attacks, and that isn't a compliment.


I've never been big into I'm From Barcelona, but a good bunch of my mates saw them at Roskilde a few years ago, and they've been talking about it ever since. They've got a new single out now from their forthcoming album, it's called 'Get In Line' and it is actually kinda sweet!


Minnesota outfit Low, who became a part of indie history with Things We Lost In The Fire almost a decade ago, are out with a new album, C'mon, the opening track of which is 'Try To Sleep'. It's a bit of a weepy sort of tune, but I guess that's all right once in a while? I find it decent anyhow.


I've mentioned The Naked and Famous before, and now that the NME have given them somewhat of a nod, I do think they're starting to position themselves and could become big in the UK over the summer. This is 'The Sun', which isn't as catchy as the track I posted a month ago, but clearly shows that this band has more than one dimension, which sure is something you often miss from upcoming outfits. Dare I even say that their male/female harmonies slightly echo the revered two exes?


I've spent a bit of the day listening to some of Elbow's stuff, including their recently released LP, Build A Rocket Boys!, as they are coming to Northside Festival alongside The Streets and Crystal Castles, among others. I think I might have to invest in one or two of their records. I'm also checking out Rainbow Arabia's debut album Boys & Diamonds, right now, but it's getting on my nerves a bit.


Oh, and how about Oh Land? She was on Letterman, and just now I saw her on the front page of NME's website (a bit down, but still...) - am I actually eventually gonna have to invest in her?