Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Junior Boys are back in town!

It's All True.
It's Tuesday again, and I've got a batch of new interesting tunes for you lot. They aren't exactly headline news, as most of them have been floating around the blogosphere over the weekend, but I figured I'd bundle them all up. 


A few of my favorite artists have been movin' around the block, including smooth Canadian electro-satisfiers Junior Boys. They're due with a new album, titled It's All True, this year, and the first taste of it is here, the track 'ep'. I really like it! It's very recognizably Junior Boys, which isn't a bad thing; their album So This Is Goodbye is one of my favorite electronic albums.


I don't know what it is about Battles that really intrigues me. Although I don't listen to it very often, I hold their debut album, Mirrored, high in regard. I guess I've got a thing for unique and original artists, think The Streets for example. I mean, no one really is quite like Battles. Anyway, since Mirrored, they've become a trio, as Tyondai Braxton, perhaps the closest the group came to a front man, has left the project. I'm a bit skeptical as to how this will pan out, and I'm not sure whether or not I like the new track they just released, 'Ice Cream', which is going to be on their sophomore album, Gloss Drop. It features none less than chileno star Matias Aguayo, but honestly, it sounds like the outfit has lost a bit of its signature insanity. It'll be interesting to follow nonetheless, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were bound for Roskilde this summer.


From something slightly inaccessible to something very straightforward, my mate David is big into all this power pop stuff like The Spinto Band and Miniature Tigers and such, and he introduced me to Generationals. It's quite cheerful, try and check out 'Ten-Twenty-Ten'.


The National did a tune for the soundtrack to indie movie Win Win, which is called 'Think You Can Wait'. When it comes to The National, I guess I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but it's very good. It's got a much less textured sound than what dominates High Violet - it's more like the Cherry Tree/Alligator-era stuff.


Finally, I guess I have to touch the subject that The Strokes have made their new album, Angles, their first in five years, available for full streaming on their website. It's pretty good, but I have to admit I'm hardly an able judge. I've never really had my Strokes period like many others, but there are some catchy tunes on it. Not sure whether or not I'll buy it - if they come to Roskilde I might have to.