Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Tuesday tunes go electronic and folksy!

Oi folks! It's spring! I did have a bit of a challenge in making my kids at work believe it, but I convincingly drew some green and yellow blobs in the month-box on the blackboard, making it resemble March. I'm not gonna be all lets-rave-to-happy-spring-music just yet though - we need the weather to be game for that, but I'm looking forward to it. There's nothing like the first day where you can go out with your headphones on, with no heavy coat or scarf or hat.


This guy is Hymns From Nineveh (OMFG, naming is really becoming a bitch, huh?), and he's Danish. I've seen his name around, and I decided to check out his new single, 'Sister Sorrowsong', which I really like! It's a bit on the corny side (especially the title, what's going on?), but it works! His debut album came out last week, and he sounds like a guy fit to ride the The Rumour Said Fire-craze around the country, although this fellow might actually have some quality music to go with the hype!


Some might think he resembles Sufjan Stevens a bit, which isn't at all untrue. Speaking of Sufjan, he's hitting Copenhagen May 1st for the first time in years, and I just bought my ticket. I'm gonna absolutely impoverish myself buying tickets for concerts this spring, but I guess I don't mind. Some of my favorite tunes on Sufjan's impressive newest album, The Age of Adz, are 'I Walked' and 'Futile Devices'. I guess the tender and sensitive lyrics appeal to me, being somewhat of a soft man myself. I do think it's creeping up to the time where I'm gonna have to digest some of Sufjan's impressive backlist, notably Seven Swans and Illinois.


Dan Snaith has been everywhere the past year under his alias Caribou. Now, he's just released a new tune under the name Daphni, and it's called 'Ye Ye'. It's really catchy, and pretty recognizable (so why mess around with names??)


Another guy who's here, there and everywhere is Chilean producer Nicolas Jaar. This time around, he's remixed When Saints Go Machine's 'Fail Forever', which is also the title track on the band's international debut EP. Domestically, they're revving up for their second full-length, Konkylie (again, what's with the bloody names and titles?), which might very well turn out interesting! Go dig the remix anyhow, it's really sweet!