Tuesday, June 22, 2010

X'es, Spleens, Phoenixes and Foals.

Alright, nothing much is really happening this week, as it's aaaall about Roskilde coming up next week, woohoo! I just thought I'd give a quick sign of life before leaving for the Animal Showgrounds this Saturday. I think I've been wading around in all the Roskilde-names sufficiently now, but luckily there's other stuff going on!

I still really dig The xx, and their self-titled album. Although it wanes slightly towards the end, it is really evocative and intimate. It's one of those records that just has a completely unique sound, somewhat in the same way as For Emma, Forever Ago has. It's the kind of record I'd like to listen to around a campfire one day.

Spleen United are moving and grooving again, and they've officially trashed the few remaining parts of guitars they ever had. From their first to their second album, they moved from long, hazy synth escapades (think 'Streetfighter') to more extrovert beat-and-bounce electro-rock, and it seems they're moving even further towards the more party-anthemic reaches of electro with their forthcoming third album, which will be out this fall. They just revealed the first track, which is called 'Sunset To Sunset', which contains a lot of house-elements, although it is recognizably Spleen United. It's pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to the album.

Phoenix did an unplugged session for MTV. Really cool, especially because it includes 'Armistice', which is one of my favourite tracks of theirs. I don't really care for the bells though.

I'm listening a lot to Foals' Total Life Forever these days too, trying to get a grasp on what might yet turn out to be a masterpiece. It is definitely growing on me.