Monday, June 07, 2010

Catchy electro-indie hits the radar.

There was a golden generation of Danish bands that emerged onto the stage 4-5 years ago. Names like VETO, Oh No Ono, Figurines, The Blue Van, Spleen United and Efterklang blazed the way for indie outfits to be heard in an arena, that was otherwise dominated by mastodons such as Kashmir, Mew, Nephew and Carpark North. Since this nascent wave of indie successes, there has been an impressive constant trickle of new and interesting bands in our little kingdom. I have at times been rather bad at getting to hear these, but up to this years Roskilde, I've finally gotten around to some of them.

Namely, I'm listening a lot to When Saints Go Machine these days. I love the dirty beat of 'New Elvis', and of course the instant catchyness of 'Spitting Image'! I really think they could put up quite a party.

The Kissaway Trail is another good young outfit. They're a bit more inaccessible and baroque, but 'Beat Your Heartbeat' is an instant winner. I can't get over just how much they resemble Arcade Fire.

Moving north, I've been listening a bit to Casiokids. They're coming to Roskilde too, but they're also coming to Aalborg in the fall, and it seems more likely i'll catch them there. 'Fot I Hose' is extremely catchy, and I fucking adore the video!

And while we're at Norwegians (slightly), I rediscovered this pretty tune The Whitest Boy Alive made a few years ago, also with an amazing vid to go with it.

I'm looking forward to getting a hold of my new records, hopefully this week. Especially This Is Happening.