Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday bits.

On an eventless hangover'y sunday, I thought I'd recommend a few tunes to pass the time! I always find that sundays I'm in the mood for cheery stuff, whether to remind one of a good time last night, reminisce over girls you did or wanted to make a pass on, or whatever. By the way, I heard Muse's new single 'Uprising' in town yesterday (which surprised me as most places in Aalborg are usually at least a few weeks behind on new tracks...), and god is it a massive tune. The theremin does everything for it, it might sound like a synthesizer, but it has a distinctive, genuine twang that's just unbeatable.

Anyway, I bought Passion Pit's album Manners the other day, and while I haven't totally gotten into the entire album yet, a few tunes like hit single 'The Reeling' and opener 'Make Light' are definitely worth a listen, as I find them very instantly likeable.

I hyped Newzealanders Cut Off Your Hands a bit before Roskilde, and while their show wasn't all that spectacular, a song like 'Oh Girl' you just have to dig. The lyrics are insanely simple, but somehow it works.

When it comes to being 35 years old and still being able to sound like an innocent and heartbroken 15-year-old, no one does it better than Håkan Hellström. He's really grown on me these last few weeks, especially the album Känn Ingen Sorg För Mig Göteborg, from which a song like 'Uppsnärjd i Det Blå' really strikes me as a beautiful tune. Håkan owes a lot to the beautiful and poetic Swedish language.

Finally, I've gotta introduce you all to Vampire Weekend. Their eponymous album is very high on my must-buy list. Try listening to 'A-Punk'.

Just another thing - I got introduced to a cool search engine-kinda thing yesterday, called Grooveshark. It struck me as being very easy to use, with a simple and efficient interface, easily-editable playlists and a big database. Hell, you can even find L:Ron:Harald on there! Try checking it out.