Thursday, June 09, 2011

Northside bound. (with mixtape!!)

The Streets.
Oi oi oi kids! Roskilde is approaching faaaast, but before that, I'm heading down to Århus this weekend for Northside Festival, which really has to good a line up for me to skip. I'll give you a quick rundown of what's going down! First of all though, make sure to check out the MIXTAPE I made for this event - it's really a good taster! (Legal stuff down below)


The big name is unquestionably The Streets. Due to immature dumbness, I missed his show at Roskilde '08, something I've regretted ever since. This won't be near as ace, especially because the planners have really made a huge bummer having Mike Skinner play next-to-last on Saturday. Especially considering fucking White Lies is the closing act. I mean, alright, for some very weird reason, White Lies might have a considerable following (still, I'd by any means consider The Streets to be the festival's absolute main act!), but I don't know which rock the organizers have hid under, to miss the countless horrible live reviews White Lies have accumulated. I can attest; I've somehow managed to see this pathetic band live not once but twice, and it's just toe-curling.


Anyway, The Streets will be rad, and so will Crystal Castles. In general, this isn't nearly as musically adventurous a festival as Roskilde, but with both Crystal Castles and Jamie Woon, the bookers have managed to strike a few gems on this years festival circuit - artists, that one truly would have expected to see on Roskilde's poster. Crystal Castles will hopefully be raving, I'm just sorry they aren't playing after nightfall (but alright, that's pretty damn tough in Denmark in June...).


Beside The Streets and Crystal Castles, Saturday - by far the most interesting of the two days the festival spans - sees domestic favourites VETO and Søren Huss. VETO I've seen countless times, but they rarely disappoint, while it'll be very interesting to see how Huss' very impressive debut solo album translates from record to stage. Thomas Dybdahl is also very enjoyable, and Editors have a few good tunes to hope for.


Interpol.
Sunday's big name for me is one of my old hearties; Interpol. I haven't really been down with the new album, and for some reason I haven't gotten around to Turn On The Bright Lights yet (saving it for a rainy day, I guess...), but the two middle albums, the critically acclaimed Antics and the underestimated Our Love To Admire are very dear to me, and it'll be enjoyable to finally see this outfit live. I hope we get a few of their decent ballads.


Elbow's new album, Build A Rocket Boys!, has been a pleasant surprise this spring, and they're a highly acclaimed live act to boot. Meanwhile, Turboweekend are always a guarantee for a good party, although they - as many others - are probably gonna suffer from playing outdoors. I've mentioned Jamie Woon already, and Kiwi outfit The Naked And Famous are another interesting up-and-coming act with loads of UK hype. Other than that, Sunday's acts is pretty are pretty irrelevant, but hey, that's a good quality load of interesting shows anyway, huh?


The mixtape included in this post contains the tracks below. All recordings are property of their rightful owners, the artists and record labels. I do not own the rights to this music, no copyright infringement intended.


00.00: The Streets feat. Sharlene Hector - 'Without Thinking' (Computers & Blues, Atlantic Records, 2011)
03.01: Interpol - 'The Heinrich Maneuver' (Our Love T o Admire, Capitol Records, 2007)
06.22: Turboweekend - 'After Hours' (Ghost of a Chance, Mermaid Records, 2009)
08.35: VETO - 'This Is Not' (Everything is Amplified, Sony BMG, 2011)
11.44: Crystal Castles - 'Baptism' (Crystal Castles, Fiction Records, 2010)
14.17: Elbow - 'Jesus Is a Rochdale Girl' (Build A Rocket Boys!, Fiction Records, 2011)
16.55: Jamie Woon - 'Lady Luck' (Mirrorwriting, Polydor Records, 2011)
20.30: The Naked and Famous - 'Young Blood' (Passive Me, Aggressive You, Somewhat Damaged, 2010)
23.05: Crystal Castles - 'Untrust Us' (Crystal Castles, Lies Records, 2008)
25.44: VETO - 'You Say Yes, I Say Yes' (Crushing Digits, Reset08 Records, 2008)
28.55: The Streets - Blinded By The Lights' (A Grand Don't Come For Free, Locked On Records, 2004)
33.15: VETO vs. James Braun - 'You Say Yes, I Say Yes' (Crushing Digits Appendices by James Braun, self-released, 2008)