Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The BIG Roskilde list, 2011!

So, it's time for this! To be honest, I haven't been quite as excited about the Roskilde line-up this year as I have been in previous years (especially last year, which was fucking amazing), so I'm not really as prepared this time around. Last year, by now I had been moving bands up and down my list for weeks, whereas this year, only last week I realized I might have to get going. For this reason, I'm not really sure of how my priorities break down, and the picture becomes more cloudy by the fact, that whereas last year, there was a large share of acts that I myself had hyped considerably (The Temper Trap, Kings of Convenience, Delphic, LCD Soundsystem and so on), this year, I'm really pretty blank on a lot of the stuff.

The major indie names are mostly absent, and many of the ones that are present, aren't really down my alley (Tame Impala, Surfer Blood, TV On The Radio). This means I'm gonna catch a lot of shows this year with artists whose material I don't really know that thoroughly - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, truth is, I've had some of my best experiences at Roskilde with bands whose back catalogue I didn't really know. But it definitely makes it harder to list my priorities, especially as both the schedule and, as always, the spur of the moment, is gonna impact heavily on what I end up seeing. But here you go:

If there's nothing else to do, I might check out a few of these acts:
DJ/rupture.
40) DJ/RUPTURE (US)
An interesting American DJ with a Pitchfork BNM'ed release from 2008, but another artist that drowns in the electronic plethora.
Likely stage: Pavilion, as part of the The Ex curation.

39) ANNA CALVI (UK)
To be honest, I haven't heard much of her, but I keep on getting recommendations, enough to warrant a slot at the bottom of this list.
Likely stage: Odeon.

I've often been raving about how the congotronics-moniker is really a misnomer for African music with a bit of guitar added, Fela Kuti style. However, if one had to attend a single congotronics show, this would probably be a wise choice, as it fuses congolese household names Konono N*1 and Kasai Allstars with a few indie friends from Brooklyn and Sweden.
Likely stage: Cosmopol.

37) WHOMADEWHO (DK)
WhoMadeWho have come a long way since I saw them warm up for VETO three years ago, and it would be interesting to see what the fuss is all about.
Likely stage: Pavilion or Odeon.


36) ALCOHOLIC FAITH MISSION (DK)
It sounds like a metal band but it's not. I have had this melancholic indie outfit recommended many times, and it sure sounds quaint.
Likely stage: Pavilion Junior.

35) CODY (DK)
Another Danish band I have had recommended quite a few times, they're riding the folk-wave that blazes through the music world these years.
Likely stage: Pavilion.

Reptile and Retard.
34) REPTILE & RETARD (DK)
Another case of wanting to see what the fuck the fuss is all about, Reptile & Retard have been pretty hyped the past year, and are apparently popular in China (which isn't by any means an accolade!)
Likely stage: Pavilion Junior.

33) DÂM-FUNK (US)
Stones Throw artist Dâm-Funk brings the funk to Roskilde. Sounds interesting, but I'm not so sure I'm gonna make it.
Likely stage: Cosmopol, Odeon, Pavilion, you name it...

32) SURFER BLOOD (US)
So, one of the few true indie outfits in this year's lineup, and they're 32nd? Well, the stuff I've heard really hasn't caught me.
Likely stage: Odeon or Pavilion.

31) LITTLE DRAGON (S)
Another band that is recommended to me now and then, and what's not to like about Yukimi Nagano's vocals? It'll be pretty tough to squeeze them in.
Likely stage: Odeon.

30) FASTPOHOLMEN (S)
I am a sucker for Swedish, and this is just the right band to set the mood for a sunny afternoon with their low-key reggae-inspired folk.
Likely stage: Pavilion Junior.

29) HYMNS FROM NINEVEH (DK)
I don't like all the "I'm so Christian"-business, but the tunes are pretty sweet...
Likely stage: Pavilion.

28) KIRSTEN & MARIE (DK)
Another name from a pretty interesting Pavilion Junior line-up this year, it's been more than a year now since twins Kirsten & Marie showed up with their soothing, two-part vocals in the catchy 'My Dear'. Is there more to them, though?
Likely stage: Pavilion Junior.

Narasirato.
27) NARASIRATO (SOL)
This pan-piper collective from the Solomon Islands were originally in the line-up last year, but had to pull out. This time around, they're the only addition on this list from the motley crew of world music artists such as Wang Li (CHN) and Jagwa Music (TAN).
Likely stage: Cosmopol.

26) TV ON THE RADIO (US)
I'm tempted to repeat the statement I made at #32. I don't think it'll be this time around for me and TV On The Radio, a band that has long flown under my radar. Had they been announced in March, I might have jumped head first into it, but now it's gonna take a void for me to see them, I think, although signature album Dear Science does contain a few wonderful tunes.
Likely stage: Arena.

I won't be heartbroken if I miss out on these acts, but I'd really like to make room for a few of them:
25) HOW TO DRESS WELL (US)
Alright, we're getting down to the nitty gritty now, and How To Dress Well sure was hard to miss on end-of-year lists in 2010. I'm not particularly won over by these minimal, alternative R'n'B-tunes, but there must be something to the hype.
Likely stage: A toss-up between Odeon and Cosmopol.

Little Marbles.
24) LITTLE MARBLES (S)
Swedish girls <3.
Swedish girls singing in Swedish <3.
Swedish girls making cutesy pop, singing in Swedish <3.
Likely stage: Pavilion Junior.

23) CHRIS CUNNINGHAM (UK)
I don't really know what to make of this booking, which isn't really a musician as much as it is a video artist. It intrigues me however, and is bound to be either a flop or a massive spectacle.
Likely stage: Big enough for Arena? Otherwise Cosmopol.

22) OH LAND (DK)
So, what if you don't really dig her artsy pop music? Well, as with many other artists this year, I'll be there to see what the fuss is all about with Oh Land (and if all else fails, she's still hot).
Likely stage: Difficult to guess, probably Odeon.

21) KINGS OF LEON (US)
Well, if I have nothing else to do, I'll probably find myself wailing along to 'Use Somebody' along with everyone else, but having Kings of Leon this high is really a tribute to the weakness of this year's line-up. I have always resented the band, and I think it's a major failure of Roskilde to book them after only three years of absence, and with a supposedly very mediocre new album. This is one of the bands that really should consider calling it quits before they become a joke.
Likely stage: Orange.

Lykke Li.
20) LYKKE LI (S)
Same alley as Oh Land, but a darker, dirtier cousin. Not as pretty and conventional, Lykke Li has edged out her own territory in the crossroads of indie, folk, pop and electronica.
Likely stage: Odeon or even Arena.

19) GOLD PANDA (UK)
Acclaimed-remixer-gone-recording-artist Gold Panda flies somewhat under the radar in a program heavily loaded with electronic artists, but he might actually be the most likable of the bunch - a calming, ethnically experimenting cousin to the brashness of house and techno.
Likely stage: Cosmopol.

18) NICOLAS JAAR (US)
Chilean-American minimalist Nicolas Jaar is one of the strongest bookings this year. He's been one of the most hyped artists in the blogosphere the last six months with his new-world take on an old-world genre, and got and 8.4 review on Pitchfork for his debut album, Space Is Only Noise.
Likely stage: Cosmopol.

17) TAME IMPALA (AUS)
These guys just keep popping up, even though I heard their 2010 debut album InnerSpeaker a few times, and found it not particularly interesting. Loads of others did, and it was a regular on best-of-year lists. I might have to check them out, regardless of my strained relationship with psychedelic, either (hopefully) to be won over, or to have a legit reason to bash.
Likely stage: Arena would be a stretch - probably Odeon.

16) BRIGHT EYES (US)
I'm slowly realizing that Bright Eyes is actually a major band, and even though I don't have time to get through Conor Oberst & co.'s entire back catalogue, I started today with the appealing ruby over diamonds, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. There's a good chance I'll end up being dragged to this show anyway, so I may as well get a handle of it.
Likely stage: Arena.

I'd be really sorry to miss one of these acts:
Ólöf Arnalds.
15) ÓLÖF ARNALDS (ISL)
This is one of my big chances to say "I told you so!" this year, if I actually manage to drag anyone with me to this show. I'm convinced it's gonna be quite beautiful, but it's a bit of a bummer that I haven't gotten around to buying the album yet.
Likely stage: Pavilion.

14) THE WALKMEN (US)
I'm ever so slowly learning to love The Walkmen, whose latest, critically acclaimed album Lisbon I bought a few months ago. I still have it tough with Hamilton Leithauser's voice at times, but this is a band that could really win me over live.
Likely stage: Odeon or Arena.

13) BATTLEKAT (DK)
So, the mysterious outfit Just A Number 05272011 that had Pitchfork and the blogosphere guessing wildly about its identity, even with wild hopes that it might be the return of Karin Dreijer, turned out to be Danish electronic outfit Battlekat. Pretty interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not they can keep up the high standards from the tracks they've been leaking the past few months.
Likely stage: Pavilion Junior.

12) VETO (DK)
VETO opening Orange? Well, to be perfectly honest, I have mixed feelings. As a faithful VETO-follower for more than six years, I am obviously proud that the band we used to scout out on Mymusic has made it this far. On the other hand, I know just how big a drop-off there is between VETO's club shows and their outdoor dittos. But I guess I'll be there wavin' the flag.
Likely stage: Orange.

Afrocubism.
11) AFROCUBISM (INT)
This is simply too much of spectacle to miss, with legendary musicians of the third world Eliades Ochoa, Toumani Diabaté and Bassekou Kouyate teaming up. A true proof that music really does reach far beyond borders and oceans.
Likely stage: Orange or Arena.

10) JAMES BLAKE (UK)
In a year like this, James Blake sits at #10. I'm not particularly fond of his debut album, but I'll have to see how perhaps the most hyped artists of 2011 will pull off his curious minimalist post-dubstep live.
Likely stage: Could be either Cosmopol, Odeon or even Arena.

9) PORTISHEAD (UK)
That's why I fucking love Roskilde. We thought we were all out and done with the headliners, and now, with less then a few weeks ago, they drop fucking Portishead on us - probably one of the most requested artists since they came back with their masterpiece album Third in 2008, and one of the very few totally unique acts in the modern music world. I have to say I have limited knowledge of their music, but I'll be there to be blown away!
Likely stage: Orange.

Absolutely, positively, must-see acts!
8) BATTLES (US)
Battles drag a heavy load back to Roskilde, having to top the show they did in 2008, where they set Odeon ablaze. Sadly, the new album Gloss Drop hasn't garnered as good reviews as Mirrored did, but it will still be spectacular, Tyondai Braxton or not.
Likely stage: Odeon or Arena.

7) MAGNETIC MAN (UK)
Magnetic Man are supposedly bringing their A-game to Roskilde, backed by Katy B and SBTRKT, and I could hope they are awarded a slot at Arena for that. Skream, Benga and Artwork are right up there with Burial as dubstep's perpetrators, and have brought the bass-heavy sound to a larger audience - a move, which might have killed the genre as an underground phenom, but turned mainstream or not, Magnetic Man is bound to be a massive party.
Likely stage: Arena or Cosmopol.

6) M.I.A. (UK)
M.I.A. is finally here, ready to let her pan-everything pop/electro/grime/dub/whatever pulsate from, hopefully, Orange stage. Last time around she cancelled, but she should be more than ready to take revenge. She is admittedly a small headliner, but the instantaneousness of her music enables her to throw a massive party, and I hope she does!
Likely stage: Orange.

5) DEADMAU5 (CAN)
The mau5 is back, and after burning down Cosmopol two years ago, it's only fitting if he would be upped to either Arena or perhaps even Orange - given that we haven't had a proper electronic party at the biggest stage since Trentemøller in 2009 (and no, I can't make myself count in The Prodigy...). I ended up missing out on Deadmau5 in 2009, but (thanks to a weak program) I'll be sure to be there this time around, as Roskilde prepares for another round of unique and embracingly warm techno.
Likely stage: Arena or Orange?

4) FOALS (UK)
I know I've taken a stab at the lack of strength of this years program more than once in this list, but I'll do so once again; having a band at #4 that I saw in Copenhagen only a half a year ago isn't ideal, even if it is one of my biggest hype bands. I've been consistently raving about Foals since their debut Antidotes a few years ago, and when they considerably upped their ante with brilliant sophomore Total Life Forever, it seems they've finally become a legit UK indie benchmark band. I honestly wasn't impressed when I saw them at Vega, but the sound was pretty shit, and this band has got too many tunes I like for me to even consider passing on them.
Likely stage: Arena or Odeon.

3) THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH (S)
The only reason Kristian Matsson aka. The Tallest Man On Earth isn't at #2, is because he's from Sweden and will probably show up in Denmark again. Nevertheless, he has been one of my biggest musical discoveries this year with is haunting, expressive voice and phenomenal songwriting prowess. I can't decide whether Shallow Grave or The Wild Hunt is my favorite album, but I'm sure we're gonna get the lion's share of both from this wonderful singer.
Likely stage: Odeon or Arena.

2) THE STROKES (US)
In my book, The Strokes, alongside Iron Maiden, are the biggest acts of this year's festival. I know Pitchfork don't like it, but plenty agree that Casablancas and his posse have made quite an acceptable comeback with this year's release, Angles. Add bona fide hits like 'Reptilia' off Room On Fire and 'Last Nite' and 'Someday' from the iconic and groundbreaking debut Is This It, all of which everyone have danced to a thousand times, and you're gonna have a surefire winner of a concert!
Likely stage: Orange.

1) ARCTIC MONKEYS (UK)
Arctic Monkeys is one of my absolute favorite bands, and, provided that Suck It And See doesn't fail after a handful of listens, they're gonna have a full four albums of impressive strength to play from. From the dusty depths and vintage feel of Humbug, through the epic pathos and sudden swankiness of Favourite Worst Nightmare right down to modern evergreens such as 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' and 'When The Sun Goes Down' from debut Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, this is is gonna be just fucking rad!
Likely stage: Orange.