Friday, June 10, 2011

Albums that we can hear.

Ford & Lopatin.
May was pretty decent for new albums, but June is a pure ball-buster, and I don't know how to fit all the exciting stuff between the Roskilde-related posts that are eventually gonna start dropping (sorry for my laxness on that subject this year!). Here, I'm just gonna drop you four interesting releases that are very new, or even coming up. I've heard all four streamed online, which is nice. I don't particularly like when bands throw out their two best tracks as teasers (like When Saints Go Machine and Austra both did), elevating expectations, but when you are able to stream entire albums, I usually do so (but only once).


Anyway, once upon a time, there was an indie pop outfit known as Games. They thought they were two pretty funny dudes, so they released an EP titled That We Can Play (get the joke?). Big fat rich rapper The Game didn't think they were funny, so he sued them, and made them change their name to Ford & Lopatin (which is cooler anyway, thank you The Game!). They then released an album called T... ehh, sorry, Channel Pressure (get the joke?), and judging by that, they still think they're two pretty funny dudes. It was released this week, but you can still stream it in its entirety here! If you're looking for highlights, check out 'Emergency Room' and 'World of Regret' (with an unforgettably ugly video to boot!)


Arctic Monkeys are all over the hypeosphere with their fourth full-length, Suck It And See. I haven't received my copy, but I'm sure it's gonna take some time getting used to, just as its predecessor, Humbug, did. Alex Turner is however a sufficiently strong lyricist that it'll be worth summat in any case. And I'm wildly digging lead single 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair'. Suck It And See here.


Now don't get me started on how amazing it was to hear the new Bon Iver album, Bon Iver, yesterday. To be honest, I was sincerely moved. There's much more pathos and production than on For Emma, Forever Ago, but there's still an urgency and intimacy to it. Please go check it out in its entirety, as, like its predecessor, it's quite hard to dissect it track by track. If you don't have 40 minutes in your life for that, you suck, but still check out 'Holocene' then.


Finalmente, Junior Boys are back with what could be construed as more of the same on their new album, Unless It's True. But hey, don't change a winning team, right? Go check it out here!