Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Skipping back in time... And forward ho!

Oi oi oi! I'm back from three weeks on Europe's railways, awesomeness! I'm gonna just quickly up you all on what's going on musically, and what the next week-and-half has in store on The Idioteque.

The signature album of the last few weeks has to be Foals' Total Life Forever, an album that is moving ever upwards on my yearly list (more on that below). Other than that, I've been skipping back in time on a few of my favorite artists. I have always had the tendency do listen to the newest album by a given band. Lets take Spleen United, whose second album Neanderthal was an instant favorite. The past few months, I've however dug much more into the debut LP, Godspeed Into The Mainstream. This album is much more  obscure and vagrant than the preppy, electro-poppish newer one - it even resembles some of early French electro pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre's work. A highlight is of course the epically grinding lead single 'Heroine Unltd.', but as of late, I have fallen for a few of the albums more spacious moments, such as 'Streetfighter' and 'Into The Future'. I'm looking very much forward to their forthcoming third album, due this fall! Just in case you haven't heard it (= bummer), check out the lead single, 'Sunset To Sunset'.

Another band, through whose discography I'm moving backwards, has been The National lately. It's hard to escape the reins of brilliant Boxer, and the latest album High Violet has seen quite a few spins as well. Recently though, I've turned my attention to Alligator, which could somewhat be construed as the band's real breakthrough. There is a different kind of energy to this one, perhaps more youthful, more aggressive. I am especially fond of 'Abel' and 'Mr. November'.

Quite a few good remixes have hit the radar while I've been gone. Check out Teen Daze's refit of Yeasayer's brilliant 'O.N.E.', John Talabot doing The xx's Shelter over, and this new version of Delorean's 'Real Love'.

I'm jumping down to Portugal in a week and a half, for a few days of sun. Until then, The Idioteque is gonna focus on my yearly albums-list, which is slightly overdue. Stay tuned for that!