Monday, March 01, 2010

Scandinavian rediscoveries.

It's always a good time for digging into your record collection, and dusting off some of the stuff you haven't heard for a long time (especially so, if you're broke as fuck, and can't really afford much in the way of new records these days, but that's another story...).

I've dug up a quintet of Scandinavian records, that I thought I'd point out. Three Danish, and two Swedish. All five of them have, at the very least, a few years on them.

Starting from the most recent, I've recently warmed very much to Spleen United's sophomore effort Neanderthal from 2008. While their debut record became a bit too diffuse at times, they really did hit the nail on the pin with Neanderthal. One of the gems is 'Dominator'. I remember it actually took me some time, before I realized that this is an instrumental track. There's nothing at all wrong with instrumental tracks; notwithstanding, they seldom hit home as massively as this one. I love the flicky, scratchy percussion sample, which is very unlike Spleen United's normally very machine-only sound. Of course I also have to mention '66', which is an absolutely massive, massive, massive track. I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys live again - soon, hopefully.

It's been quite some years now, since I got introduced to Aarhusian balkanists Analogik. They too are a really likeable live act, and their debut LP Søens Folk is snug as a bug. They employ various murky existences of the Danish reggae-dancehall underground to create their eclectic everything-goes'y balkan-sailor music, which is instantaneously likeable. Such as 'Farligt Monster' here. And 'Kringel'. Sadly, I can only find a live version of this one. On the studio version, there's a real dandy toothbrush-sample. Try and dig it up!

Heading across the sound now, I've dug out perhaps one of the oldest records I've got - it's Bo Kaspers Orkester's first record, Söndag i Sängen', from whopping 1993. This jazz-pop orchestra is really enjoyable. I love the nighttimelyness of 'Köpenhamn', which I can also only find in a live version. Hijo de puta, it isn't really my day. But anyway, this is a really nice album - the kind of stuff you can put on at almost any time of day, and it'll hit home.

Perhaps not needing much presentation is good old Joto Joto - spano-swedish singer-songwriter-vituoso José González (of Sony commercial fame...). I of course have to point out 'Heartbeats', which is a tune I've much enjoyed to chuck on after a big night out. It's been loooong overdue for me to mention it here, really. The whole album, Veneer, originally from 2003, and rereleased in 2005, is enjoyable business, like 'All You Deliver' here.

Finally, back to Denmark for the final gem, which is Marvel Hill. They emerged at the same time as VETO, Spleen United, Dúné, Oh No Ono and a hell of a lot of other promising, now established, Danish acts that in different ways reminisced each other somewhat, and as such, they sort of drowned in the wave, and never really made it big. Their debut record was Heartless Is More, and to be honest, it is still a favorite for me. I really like how they employ arpeggios and multiple synths, while still not losing their slightly rock'n'roll-ish edge. They've released another album since, which apparently had them thrashing their synths. I haven't even heard that one. For whichever reasons, neither of my two favorite tracks of theirs, 'Odyssey' and 'Trembling Hands' are available on YouTube, but they might be found on Grooveshark. 'Heartless Is More' is the only decent track I could find, sadly. But it's good.

Digging is good too. Watch out on the weekend for some constructive blues...