Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday electro treats!

Gavin Russom.
Oi lads! We're on the flipside of summer now, and it's time to get back to some real blogging! I'm sorry I've been somewhat off the circuit this past month or so. It's mostly got to do with spending my time traveling back and forth, but now I am almost settled in Copenhagen! Only have to move my stuff from one flat to another in a few weeks, and then I'm a vagabond no more. I will be busy though, this next month's time, as I'm starting at the University of Copenhagen soon, which excites me more and more and more!


Anyway, enough palliation! I've scraped together a handful of new tunes. They're all very electronic, which I guess is what's on the fore right now.


Troels Abrahamsen is slowly gearing up for his next solo release. What he has done under his own pen up until now has been of varying quality, but new tune 'You're Mine' is very promising. It's a lot darker and more house'y than most of the stuff on the WHT and BLCK albums, which is a welcome left turn. Go check it out at Soundvenue!


One of the few interesting releases coming up this fall is Mikael Simpson's Noget Laant, Noget Blaat album. The first single is called 'Hvor lander du?', and is up now - interesting news from one of Denmark's continuously most original and unique artists.


DFA old-timer Gavin Russom threw this mindfuck of a tune a few weeks ago, called 'Night Sky', and it's really rad. Yes, it goes on for more than 13 minutes, but it doesn't really get boring, and again, it really fucks your brain out!


I very rarely hype Dutch music - I guess most of that country is still stuck in techno, which is kinda weird, I mean, even the Germans have moved on - but Fabric contributor Martyn deserves some serious cred for this alluring b-side called 'Viper'. It's so dark I would almost describe it as sinister, but it really, really works!


Finally, and this is the true sweet treat of this post, Mr. Little Jeans has made this courageous electronic/ambient-like cover of the title track off Arcade Fire's formidable latest album, 'The Suburbs'. Arcade Fire comes across as a band pretty hard to cover, but I think this is a very successful try - it sort of keeps with the entire spirit of The Suburbs, while still being musically very far removed from the original. The raunchy vid is pretty nice to boot! By the way, I still haven't made up my mind on whether or not to go to their concert here in town in a few weeks. Remarkably, it isn't sold out yet, but it's very expensive. I think I will regret it into infinity if I don't go, so I guess it's just a question of convincing myself to act economically irresponsible once again...


I bought a batch of new records like a month ago, but I'll keep the jury out on it for a bit more. I'll be back to y'all about that later this week!