Thursday, August 18, 2011

Delicious late-summer cuts!

Dent May.
Mmh, today I've dug up some really pretty summery tunes for perhaps one of the last real days of summer. I've spent most of the day oozing around in thrift stores trying to find summat to dress up with on Monday, and I'm sure as hell hoping it won't be as hot then as it's been today, because I'm gonna absolutely dehydrate then!


But let's embrace the summer while it's still going strong huh!? Here are three new tunes I found today, and I've spiced them up with a pair of old faves and a gorgeous new viddy at the end!


Dent May is on Animal Collective's Paw Tracks label, and here's a new cut from him called 'Wedding Day'. It's very funky and pretty 70s!


Digging through the Forkcast for the first time in a few days, I stumbled on Airbird, which is the solo project of Joel Ford of Ford & Lopatin, whose album I bought about a month ago. The kinship is pretty obvious, with 80s synths abound, but there's a bit more of a house'y beat to this tune called 'City vs. Mountains'.


Also on the Forkcast, I found Norwegian outfit Razika. Now, I'm pretty unconditionally fond of everything female that sings in Norwegian and Swedish, and 'Aldri' is another good example - really likeable!


Now, I mentioned I'd throw in a few old loves here. First of all, I've had a renaissance for Kings of Convenience as of late, and I feel like throwing 'Love Is No Big Truth' at you lot. This is one of this outfit's more up tempo tunes, uncharacteristically sporting a four-on-the-floor beat, and really a lovely song. Usually heralded less for their lyrics than for their general relaxing mood, I do feel that Øye and Bøe strike some sort of lyrical gold here, in a cynical sort of way.


A few months ago, I bought Girls' Album without much further fanfare (as I already had part of it lying around), because I was slightly disappointed by it perhaps. They're out with a new album soon however, which might be worth checking out, although they're right on the borderline of what I dig and diss in Californian music right now. 'Lust For Life' is a fucking massive tune though!


Finally, Bon Iver's second single off Bon Iver is 'Holocene' (c'mon man, why not 'Towers'??), and he/they just posted the vid for it today. It's very pretty, but also, sorry, a bit faggg... Go check it out anyway!