Monday, July 20, 2009

A year in albums, 1 of 4.

I'm turning twenty soon, and I thought I'd reflect a bit on what's been going on musically through the last year, by listing the most important new discoveries I've made. In other words, not necessarily what has been released since July 2008, but what I've added to my musical library. I had originally intended on twelve albums, but because of trouble leaving stuff out, the list has ended up containing seventeen (sorry for my perpetual lack of conciseness). I'll post them in foursomes (more or less), reversely ordered, just for the hell of it (and to make posts more digestible).

17. Apparat - Things To Be Frickled
I haven't really wholly gotten into this one yet, which is why it is at the bottom of the list. It could become a very longevous part of my collection for all I know. Apparat is a German electronica, ambient and remix artist, and Things To Be Frickled (released in 2008) is a very pleasant collection of remixes and his own songs remixed by others. One might think of this as 'background music', and while it sure may do well in chique city-cafés, I definitely think it's worth a listen. Have only had it about a month though, so there isn't really much to be said, yet.

16. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
This was my first Yeah Yeah Yeahs album (and still is my only one), and I got a hold of it after their being announced for Roskilde, sometime around early April. F0r the record, it's their third full-length, and it was released in March this year. Beneath the slightly corny title and the avant-garde cover-artwork is what's been described as a more electronically orientated and ballad'y effort than the two previous (as stated above, I can't really tell if this is true, as I've only heard a few tracks from their early career). Even though I quickly lost some of my interest in this album (blame that on P3 over-playing the lead single 'Zero'), it definitely has its place as one of the years important new musical acquaintances, and I think songs like 'Skeletons' and 'Hysteric' will be on my playlist for a long time.

Top three most heard tracks (from last.fm)
- 'Hysteric'
- 'Runaway'
- 'Skeletons'

15. Late of the Pier - Fantasy Black Channel
British electroklash-dancepunkers Late of the Pier were among my most heavily hyped outfits through late 2008 with their debut effort Fantasy Black Channel, released in the summer of 2008. While it is not an overly homogenous record, it is a heavy slap in the face of "indie-schmindies who find a sound and stick to it", as the band put it themselves, and with songs like 'Broken' and 'Space And The Woods', the four-piece really break down some taboos and defy eighties-kitschness. Those two tracks are among the most instantly festive I've ever heard, but the album in its entirety doesn't fully accompany these two party-wobblers (I don't think one could cope with such a breakneck pace through kitsch albeit wonderful sounds anyway!). An important album in regards to breaking down borders between genres nonetheless.

Most heard were:
- 'Broken'
- 'Space And The Woods'
- 'The Bears Are Coming'

14. The Knife - Deep Cuts
It's hard to believe that only through the last year have I discovered the magic of The Knife! Heavily recommended by quite a few friends, I actually got a hold of subsequent 'Silent Shout' before this one (hint, the former might appear further up the list...). Deep Cuts is just a magnificiently brilliant effort. It should perhaps be further up the list, but as this is effectively the list of the "most important" new discoveries, not necessarily "the best", it goes down here. And, while not so extravagantly creative, Silent Shout has enjoyed more plays. This is perhaps due to the nature of Deep Cuts, being somewhat of an unhomogenous and slightly immature record, ingeniously jutting out in many creative directions (I feel an urge to use my porcupine-metaphor, but it doesn't really translate well into English...), soothing of exuberance. There are really many strange tracks on this one that deserve a mention, like the purposedly exaggerated 'Listen Now' and the sarcastically chauvinist 'Hangin' Out', however if one should mention one track from this album it really should be The Knife's only real hit ever, which is ofcourse 'Heartbeats', the perhaps unrepresentative but still brilliant opener.

The three most listened are:
- Heartbeats
- You Make Me Like Charity
- One For You

This post should have contained five albums, but it's getting late, I'm getting tired, and when I do, my English sucks dick.