Sunday, December 12, 2010

Highly infectuous!

I've been indulging a couple of very high quality albums over the past week, that I thought I'd share with you. First of all, it's Yeasayer, whose debut album All Hour Cymbals is really catching up to me. It's much less beat-oriented, and there are more oriental harmonics than on follow-up Odd Blood, but it's really an intriguing record - at times very Sgt. Peppery. I love 'Wait For The Summer' and '2080', which is also around in an extraordinary Take Away version here!


Also very intriguing is Sufjan Stevens' new album, The Age of Adz. I haven't been all that much into Sufjan before, but this is a masterful record. He's much more emotional, and slightly more restrained in genre and sound, although he does still leap and jump around like a madman, often sending songs in vastly different directions through their course. Highlights are the grandiose 'The Age of Adz', the beautiful 'Vesuvius' and the crazily impressive closer, 'Impossible Soul'.


Everyone is expecting Kanye West to be atop Pitchforks albums-of-the-year list with his supposedly tremendous new album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I'm not much into hip hop, but this tune which samples Bon Iver's 'Woods' is bloody awesome, check it out! It's called 'Lost in The World'.


Beginning this Tuesday, I'm gonna present my own albums-of-the year list, so stay tuned lads!