Monday, September 14, 2009

Resistance day, other stuff, and the imminent future of The Idioteque.

Today could be dubbed 'Resistance Day', i.e. it is the day when Muse's highly anticipated fifth full length effort finally hits the shelves. I don't have time to pick it up today, but I'm counting on finding it on Khao San Rd. sometime this week. I've heard most of it though, and it is very impressive. It is more piano-driven than its predecessors (a Danish review stated that "...Bellamy unfortunately isn't a great pianist" - I wonder if that journalist ever heard 'Butterflies and Hurricanes'...), and many of the songs are really strong. Everyone is raving about the three-movement 'Exogenesis'-symphony, which I haven't really gotten into yet. I only heard it once, and it honestly disappointed me a bit, but everyone is proclaiming it to be the Bohemian Rhapsody of the 21st century, so I guess it just has to grow.

I've just got a few tips that I have encountered these last few weeks:

Those of you all into Radiohead's perhaps most overlooked album, Amnesiac, I found this great cover of 'I Might Be Wrong' by a French jazz-quartet. It's really groovy!

Editors are on their way with their third album, In This Light and On This Evening, due to be released in October. I've really enjoyed their first album, The Back Room from 2005, and they seem to have revved up on the synths on this one. Their lead single 'Papillon' sounds like a crossbreed between Spleen United and Depeche Mode, and depending on how the rest of the album sounds, it could turn out to be a fave.

Finally, I've really gotten into Danish quintet Oh No Ono's sophomore effort Eggs, which they released this spring. I was never a big fan of their debut album Yes, but the second one is really a masterful effort at times. 'Swim' is very good, and here they are playing my favourite, 'The Tea Party' at Beatday Festival in Copenhagen.

These next months this blog is going into a semi-hiatus. I am leaving for Australia and New Zealand, and while I'll still be sniffing up music here and there, I think I'll be plenty busy writing mails and travellogs, uploading pictures and sending postcards, so The Idioteque will probably only be active every now and then. For those of you fluent in the Danish language, head over to my travellog! (Pics will be upped to Facebook now and then). Stay groovy.