Sunday, May 24, 2009

Footwork from the metropolitan village.

For weeks and months, I've often been attributing "If I had a blog, I'd write this!" to various thoughts and phrases. Finally though, I've decided to make things happen. I'm the type of person who's always got something to say, always new comments, new ideas, new phenomena, to the extent that Facebook statuses or Twitter-mania doesn't really suffice. So I decided to finally do this. I don't care whether or not anyone bothers to take time out to read my stuff (or, I do, slightly, being somewhat of an ever attention-craving bastard), it's meant to be just a canalization of stuff that goes on beneath the forehead. A big part of this might be about music. I used to keep up a music blog with my flattie, but after we've been increasingly missing each other on a daily basis as a result of love interests and mismatching work hours, that blog is on an indefinite and possibly unwakeable hiatus. I've missed babbling about stuff I hear though, so I figure I'll make that part of this.

I've chosen to keep this in English for a few reasons. First of all, I've got English-speaking (or rather, non-Danish-speaking, of which the world contains quite a lot, in case you haven't noticed) friends and relatives who might wan't to keep up as well. Secondly, I've noticed my English having deteriorated slightly since not living with my foremostly English-speaking father anymore, and I wish to keep my English skills as being an integral part of my curriculum vitae. Finally, I feel that writing in English enables me to distance myself somewhat from myself and goings-on around me, thus being able to assume a more observing and noticing perspective, which I feel is to the benefit of the inevitably pseudo-philosophical mood that blogging often meanders through. There might appear danisms, weird word-and-sentence constructions and uses, and my consistantly Danish punctuation habits and sloppyness as regards to capital I's as the first-person singular pronoun might lead to the irritation of oxfordier anglophones than myself.

Anyhow, what's on then? Well, carnival was this weekend, which to me is always kind of an anti-climactic, rednecky feast of alcohol, which almost always evolves into desperately but impossibly trying to catch everyone through an overstrained cell network, trying to make a pass at silly-clad teen beauties hopefully engulfed in a mood of spontaneity and lust, whilst unattractively clad in suede and inadequate blond hair-dye oneself, and making one's way home alone after the aforementioned teenies have gone sober untouched, and the undefineable "everyone" has been dispersed throughout the streets and flats of this metropolitan village. It's a feast of flesh and simple joys, however getting drunk at 8 a.m. makes it devourable.

I just came home from one of my bandmates' house, where we've been trying to figure out the maze that is getting the Musicians' Union to throw money at our near-empty band account as payment for playing jobs around the home grounds. We've been doing exactly that a lot lately, which I've concluded takes us absolutely nowhere further than free beer and a slight rockstarryness in a way too unvivid city. We've got to come to terms with our incapability of creating proper-sounding recordings, so that people might want to listen to us not only when we look gorgeously youthful and witty on stage. Our old recordings, by the way, are really fun. We've been doing this longer than one remembers, and it's hilarious to listen to our first EP, the way the mastering is totally nonexistant, and the instruments are totally mismatching eachother (that's not Zeitgeist by the way, although we never were thoroughly satisfied with that one either, it's an EP we did under our previous name 'Anemonia Lane' back in 2006). I'm not sure if I hope our current stuff is as pathetic through a 2013-perspective, although it would mean that we've moved even farther. It takes a lot of footwork though.

A hell of a lot of footwork. As do the teenies. As does this.